Aromatherapy THE essential part of a healthy and simple routine... But it's not always easy to find your way between their different properties! Today, Madam President immerses herself in the world of these little natural treasures and explains to you how to choose your anti-hair loss essential oils (but also anti-dandruff, anti-oily hair, anti-dry hair, etc.)!
What is an essential oil ?
And first of all, a quick overview of essential oils. Don't panic, it's much less complex than it seems. Let's keep it simple: essential oil is obtained through the distillation of a plant (leaf, flower, bark, root, bud, etc.). Dried or fresh, the plant is treated in a still, which can extract the essential oil. We've kept it short for you, but you now know the bulk of the process (and if you want to know more, this video will explain everything!). So, essential oil is not necessarily oily.
This process allows us to preserve the concentrate of the plant's active ingredients: the essential oil has biochemical properties beneficial to health (if they are used correctly, but we'll talk about that right after). It is therefore closer to natural medicine than to perfume. But this process requires a lot of material: for example, you need around 130 kg of lavender for 1 liter of essential oil. Do the math… That’s a lot of flowers!
How to use essential oils ?
Essential oils are very powerful concentrates: they must therefore be used sparingly... And precautions! No question of spraying yourself with it! Essential point: do not apply them anywhere. Avoid the eyes, their contours or the ears. In short, no application to fragile areas.
In general, avoid applying essential oils directly: dilute them in a vegetable oil adapted to your skin type (don't worry, we'll have an article on vegetable oils soon!). And if in doubt, always do a skin tolerance test on the wrist or elbow crease two days before more general use. You don't want to end up covered in pimples or red patches!
Finally, be careful: the majority of essential oils are not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women and children under 3 years old. Before any use, seek medical advice. Likewise, no inhalation for people with respiratory problems.
Enjoy the benefits of essential oils
Depending on the desired benefit and the essential oil chosen, there are different ways to use it. External use (massage, local application, mask, etc.) allows the active ingredients to penetrate directly into the skin and reach the targeted internal areas (brain, lungs, digestive system, etc.) through the blood. This is the most often used method.
Essential oils can also be diffused, using a diffuser. Here again, the active ingredients penetrate the blood (through the lungs this time) and quickly reach the organ to be treated.
Finally, the essential oil can be absorbed orally, but never pure: accompanied by yogurt, a piece of bread, a spoonful of honey, etc. This use is generally dedicated to the treatment of the digestive system and, as always, requires precautions. Do not hesitate to seek medical advice!
Choosing my anti-hair loss essential oils
Now that you are ready to use them, let's get to the heart of the matter: how to choose your anti-hair loss essential oils?
They are numerous, and their virtues are often similar: cleaning the skin, soothing irritations, anchoring the hair bulb, antifungals... In short, everything you need for a scalp in great shape. And, as you know, a healthy scalp is essential to prevent hair loss and stimulate hair growth (and we give you all the tips for cleaning it up here ). Small list (non-exhaustive) to help you choose your anti-hair loss essential oils.
- Atlas cedar : tonic, soothing, lipolytic and purifying, this essential oil is perfect for reducing hair loss and promoting regrowth.
- Bay Saint-Thomas : again, invigorating, stimulating and purifying, it is the anti-hair loss oil par excellence.
- Rosemary : its revitalizing, purifying and balancing effects make it perfectly suited to hair loss problems.
- Clary sage : a great anti-hair loss ally. It regulates, purifies and tones the scalp. Bonus: it is ideal for inconveniences linked to the menstrual cycle, especially stomach aches.
- Grapefruit : activates blood microcirculation and tones the scalp (be careful, this essential oil has a photosensitizing effect, use in the evening or 8 to 10 hours before exposing yourself to the sun).
- Spikenard jatamansi : less common, this essential oil is known in India to reduce dandruff and stimulate hair growth (and we know that Indian women have the most beautiful hair in the world).
Thanks to these essential oils, you can healthily and gently fight hair loss and alopecia, and stimulate regrowth. Aromatherapy: happiness for your hair!
Anti-hair loss essential oil treatment
As always, we offer you our own treatment recipe! This anti-hair loss mask recipe is tested and approved by Odile, Madam President's development manager... Follow the guide!
You need :
- 1 tablespoon mustard or avocado oil (or a mixture of both!)
- 1 tablespoon of amla powder (ayurvedic and regenerating, rich in vitamin C)
- 2 tablespoons of kapoor kachli powder (ayurvedic, antioxidant and fortifying)
- 10 drops of Atlas cedar essential oil
- 5 drops of Bay Saint-Thomas essential oil
We mix everything (don't hesitate to add a little water if the texture is not smooth enough) and that's it! Apply to the roots, leave for at least 30 minutes, and shampoo.
Powder treatments can dry out hair, so don't forget to moisturize after washing!
Please note, this mask is not suitable for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Choosing other essential oils
And because aromatherapy is not limited to the choice of anti-hair loss essential oils, there is a small, non-exhaustive list of their other benefits.
- Oily hair : clary sage, lemon, bay leaf, thyme…
- Anti-dandruff : cade, palmarosa, clary sage, patchouli, bay leaf, Atlas cedar…
- Dry hair : geranium, alba sandalwood, squalane...
You know everything about essential oils, you are ready to move on to DIY masks! And to reduce hair loss, you can also opt for food supplements: Resolution N°1 and Hair boost ! Their action reduces loss, to quickly regain volume. And if you prefer, we designed Monsieur for men, and Mama for pregnant and breastfeeding women... But you already knew that!
Other needs? Don’t hesitate to ask us in the comments!