The essential THE aromatherapy of a healthy and simple routine… But it is not always easy to navigate between their different properties! Today, Madam President delves into the world of these little natural treasures and explains how to choose your anti-hair loss essential oils (but also anti-dandruff, anti greasy hair, anti dry hair…)!
What is an essential oil ?
And first of all, a quick overview of essential oil. Don't panic, it's much less complex than it seems. Let's keep it simple: essential oil is obtained by distilling a plant (leaf, flower, bark, root, bud, etc.). Dried or fresh, the plant is treated in a still, which can extract the essential oil. We made it short, but now you know most of the process (and if you want to know more, this video will explain everything to you!). Thus, the essential oil is not necessarily oily.
This process makes it possible to keep the concentrate of the plant's active ingredients: the essential oil has biochemical properties that are beneficial to health (if they are used correctly, but we talk about that right after). It is therefore closer to natural medicine than to perfume. But this process requires a lot of material: for example, it takes about 130 kg of lavender for 1 liter of essential oil. Do the math… That's a lot of flowers!
How to use essential oils ?
Essential oils are very powerful concentrates: they should therefore be used sparingly… And with care! No question of spraying it! Key point: do not apply them just anywhere. Avoid the eyes, their contour or the ears. In short, no application to fragile areas.
In general, avoid applying essential oils directly: dilute them in a vegetable oil suitable for your skin type (don't worry, we will soon be doing an article on vegetable oils!). And if in doubt, always have a skin tolerance test on the wrist or the crease of the elbow two days before more general use. You wouldn't want to end up covered in pimples or red patches!
Finally, beware: the majority of essential oils are not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women and children under 3 years old. Before use, therefore seek medical advice. Likewise, no inhalation for people with respiratory problems.
Enjoy the benefits of essential oils
Depending on the benefit sought and the essential oil chosen, there are different ways to use it. External use (massage, local application, mask, etc.) allows the active ingredients to penetrate directly into the skin and reach the targeted internal areas (brain, lungs, digestive system, etc.) through the blood. This is the most commonly used method.
Essential oils can also be diffused, thanks to a diffuser. Again, the active ingredients enter the blood (through the lungs this time) and quickly reach the organ to be treated.
Finally, the essential oil can be absorbed orally, but never pure: accompanied by yogurt, a piece of bread, a spoon of honey, etc. This use is generally dedicated to the treatment of the digestive system and, as always, requires precautions. Do not hesitate to seek medical advice!
Choose my anti-hair loss essential oils
Now that you are ready to use them, let's get to the heart of the matter: how to choose your essential hair loss oils?
There are many of them, and their virtues are often similar: skin cleansing, soothing irritation, anchoring of the hair bulb, antifungals… In short, everything you need for a healthy scalp. And, you know, a healthy scalp is essential to prevent hair loss and stimulate your hair growth (and we give you all the tips to clean it up. right here). Small list (not exhaustive) to help you choose your essential oils for hair loss.
- Atlas cedar : tonic, soothing, lipolytic and purifying, this essential oil is perfect for reducing hair loss and promoting regrowth.
- Bay St. Thomas : again, tonic, stimulating and purifying, it is the ultimate hair loss oil.
- Rosemary : its revitalizing, purifying and balancing effects make it perfectly suited to the problem of hair loss.
- Clary sage : a great fall prevention ally. It regulates, purifies and tones the scalp. Bonus: it is ideal for the inconveniences related to the menstrual cycle, especially for stomach aches.
- Grapefruit : activates the blood microcirculation and tones the scalp (be careful, this essential oil has a photosensitizing effect, to be used more in the evening or 8 to 10 hours before exposure to the sun).
- Spikenard jatamansi : less widespread, this essential oil is known in India to reduce dandruff and stimulate hair growth (and we know that Indian women have the most beautiful hair in the world).
Thanks to these essential oils, you will be able to fight healthily and gently against hair loss and alopecia, and stimulate regrowth. Aromatherapy: happiness for your hair!
Hair loss treatment with essential oils
As always, we offer you our own skincare recipe! This hair loss mask recipe is tested and approved by Odile, Madam President's development manager… Follow the guide!
You need :
- 1 tablespoon of mustard or avocado oil (or a mixture of both!)
- 1 tablespoon of amla powder (Ayurvedic and regenerating, rich in vitamin C)
- 2 tablespoons of kapoor kachli powder (ayurvedic, antioxidant and fortifying)
- 10 drops of Atlas cedar essential oil
- 5 drops of Bay Saint-Thomas essential oil
We mix everything (do not hesitate to add a little water if the texture is not creamy enough) and voila! Apply to the roots, leave on for at least 30 minutes, and shampoo.
Powder treatments can dry out the hair, so be sure to make a moisturizer after washing!
Please note, this mask is not suitable for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Choose other essential oils
And because aromatherapy is not limited to the choice of essential oils for hair loss, a small non-exhaustive list of other benefits of these.
- Greasy hair : clary sage, lemon, bay leaf, thyme ...
- Anti dandruff : cade, palmarosa, clary sage, patchouli, bay leaf, Atlas cedar ...
- Dry hair : geranium, sandalwood alba, squalane ...
You know everything about essential oils, you are ready to switch to DIY masks! And to reduce the fall, you can also opt for food supplements: Resolution N ° 1 and Hair boost ! Their action reduces the fall, to quickly regain volume. And if you prefer, we have designed Mr. for men, and Mama for pregnant and breastfeeding women… But you already knew that!
Other needs? Do not hesitate to ask us in comment!